Ponte dell’Ammiraglio, built in the second quarter of the Twelfth century (1132 ca.) is an important testimony of civil architecture of the Norman Age. It represents one of the greatest medieval engineering products in the Mediterranean area.
Built in the second quarter of the Twelfth century (1132 ca.), it is an important testimony of Norman civil architecture, entirely built with stone, remarkable for size, extraordinary for the time. It owes its name to the founder, Giorgio di Antiochia, admiral of the kingdom at the service of King Roger II from 1125 and also founder of the church of Santa Maria dell’Ammiraglio. It has the characteristic “donkey back” configuration, with two symmetric ramps straight from seven ogival arch spans and recessed ring nuts.