The City of Palermo announces an international design competition for the elaboration of a lighting concept and related design for the Arab Norman monuments that are part of the UNESCO Heritage Route in Palermo: Palazzo Reale or dei Normanni (area of intervention: in front of Piazza del Parlamento and in front of Piazza Indipendenza Square, excluding Bastioni), Palatine Chapel, the Cathedral, Church of San Giovanni degli Eremiti, Church of Santa Maria dell’Ammiraglio or Martorana, Church of San Cataldo, Castello della Zisa, intervention area: garden), Ponte dell’Ammiraglio, located in Palermo, with an open procedure. The object is the acquisition, after completion of the second level, of a project similar to a project of technical and economic feasibility.
The competition, open to architects and engineers, is divided into two parts and is anonymous.
In order to guarantee anonymity and uniform conditions of participation, the procedures of the competition and the relationship between the organizer and the competitor will exclusively take place via the web site:www.palermolucisullarte.concorrimi.it.
On the mentioned website, the competitor will have access through registration and can download the necessary material for participation, formulate questions, consult the “news” page and deliver by uploading the project proposals of both the first and second level.
Competition notice: https://www.palermolucisullarte.concorrimi.it/
AWARDS AND REIMBURSEMENT
The winner of the competition will receive a prize of € 20.000,00 (gross of VAT and any other legal charge).
A prize of € 10.000,00 (gross of VAT and any other legal charge) is awarded to the second classified competitor.
A prize of € 5.000,00 (gross of VAT and any other legal charge) is awarded to the third-ranked competitor.
Each of the following 2 (due) competitors will receive a reimbursement of expenses of € 3.000,00 (gross of VAT and any other legal charge).
DOCUMENTS OF THE COMPETITION
The following documentation is provided:
- Competition notice
- Bando di concorso (application/pdf)
- 1. Preliminary Design Document
- All. 1 – Documento preliminare alla progettazione.pdf (application/pdf) – Preliminary design document
- 2. UNESCO Serial Property Management Plan
- All. 2 – Piano-di-Gestione-PA-ARAB.pdf (application/pdf) – Arab Norman property Management Plan
- 3. Buffer Zones Palermo
- All. 3 – WHL_NUOVE_buffer_palermo.pdf (application/pdf) – PPlan of the Buffer Zones of the Arab-Norman Palermo serial property
- 4. Buffer Zones Palermo – PRG
- All. 4 – Buffer_Zone_UNESCO_tav_PRG.pdf (application/pdf) – Town planning instruments in use in the Buffer Zones Palermo – P.R.G.
- 5. Buffer Zones Palermo – PPE
- All. 5 – Buffer_Zone_UNESCO_tav_PPE.pdf (application/pdf) – Town planning instruments in use in the Buffer Zones Palermo – P.P.E.
- 6. Urban planning instruments in use in the Buffer Zones Palermo – Complete plans
- All. 6 – Buffer_Zone_UNESCO_5000_piani_completi.pdf (application/pdf) – Urban planning instruments in use in the Buffer Zones Palermo – Complete plans
- 7. Urban planning instruments in use in the Buffer Zones Palermo – Piani stralciati
- All. 7 – Buffer_Zone_UNESCO_ piani_stralciati.pdf (application/pdf) – Urban planning instruments in use in the Buffer Zones Palermo – Piani stralciati
- 8. Urban planning instruments in use in the Buffer Zones Palermo – Summary table
- All. 8 – Buffer_Zone_UNESCO_tav_riassuntiva.pdf (application/pdf) – Town planning instruments in use in the Buffer Zones Palermo – Summary table
- 9. Urban planning instruments in use in the Buffer Zones Palermo – Traffic Plan
- All. 9 – Piano_traffico_zone_unesco.pdf (application/pdf) – Urban planning instruments in the Buffer Zones Palermo – Traffic Plan
- 10. Calculation of fees according to the D.M. 06/17/2016
- All. 10 – Calcolo onorari.pdf (application/pdf) – Calculation of fees according to the D.M. 06/17/201
- 11. List of second-level documents
- All.11-Elenco_elaborati_di_secondo_grado.pdf (application/pdf) – List of second-level documents
- 12. Facsimile economic proposal not evaluated for the purpose of the competition
- All_12-Modello_proposta_economica.pdf (application/pdf) – Facsimile economic proposal not evaluated for the purposes of the competition
- EVALUATION CRITERIA – FIRST LEVEL
NIn a private session, the Selection Committee defines the methodology of the works. The selection of the project proposals that will be admitted to the second level of the competition will be made on the basis of the following evaluation criteria:
a) Architectural quality: evaluation of the project proposal in consideration of the artistic/conceptual value, of the originality, of the innovation in the description of the monumental property and of its history through light.
Up to 25 points
b) Ability to develop a relationship with the specific context: evaluation of the project proposal according to the characterization of the cultural itinerary and of the monument through the recognition and innovation adopted for integration with the urban context.
Up to 25 points
c) Quality of technical and technological solutions and choice of materials as far as environmental sustainability: evaluation of the project proposal in consideration of the innovative technical solutions and expected energy efficiency.
Up to 25 points
d) Technical, economic and maintenance feasibility: attention to cleaning and maintainability of the components used, the recyclability of materials, the planned replacement of components in a life cycle perspective, consistency between the assumed costs, design solutions and architectural quality, realization and economic feasibility and ease and economy of maintenance of the works.
Up to 25 points